Monday, March 28, 2011

Tutus and Tennis Shoes

I am still mortified that my mother ALLOWED me to wear dresses with tennis shoes when I was in elementary school. I somehow feel that she is responsible for that fashion faux pas since I was obviously not old enough to make my own decisions (or maybe this is just what I keep telling myself!). It goes the same with overly coordinated outfits- I had 2 short/shirt numbers that were an unfortunate combination of purple and blue vertical stripes. When I had children, I swore that I would not be that mother.
15 years later...
Today Maelee looked adorable in her getup. A girly pink and black dress, white tights, and "princess" shoes. Pulling away from daycare, I was confident that all the teachers were raving about MaeMae, all the other mother's were taking note of her astute fashion sense, and the other 2 year olds just had to have been envious. I admit, I was still smug as I approached work.
Unfortunately (or adoringly), Mae has the obsessive habit of removing her clothing on a regular basis. It has been a topic of humor for our friends and family. Anyhow, when I went to pick up Maelee, I anticipated that she likely would not be in that adorable dress. I imagined that her tights may have come off, that maybe she would be in pants and a shirt having decided the feminine look wasn't her thing for the day. I imagined her braid may have been taken out of her hair, leaving a disheveled look... I did NOT imagine that my little princess would still have a beautiful braid in her hair, her tights nicely intact and surprisingly clean, her dress still nicely draped across her little body, and disgusting boys black sneakers adorned on her little feet! I am, afterall, that mother!
Love you Mae!

No comments:

Post a Comment