Saturday, March 13, 2010

Preschool Open House

Brevik has suddenly become fascinated with people's bodies. Curious, yes. Inappropriate, definitely. I will not use any names should his "victims" be reading this...
We attended our first open house for a preschool this week. The room was utterly silent when Brevik looked over at a 2nd grader, who happened to be the son of the lady in charge of the entire program. "Does that boy have a baby in his tummy?!" Brevik shouted, scrutinizing the geeky and overweight young boy. A few mothers looked my way, judgement striking me from their glances. I had to quickly respond. "Honey, it's just the way he's standing," I quipped (lied). Realistically, the boy could have been doing a handstand and Brevik would have legitimately asked the same question. I, of course, turned an unnatural shade of red and pretended to continue listening.
Attending this open house was an interesting experience for me. Walking into the event, I was struck with disbelief. I have a child who will be starting preschool. In the same moment that I was feeling old, I quickly felt young again looking at other mothers who clearly had more experience in years than myself. Maelee on my hip and Brevik holding my hand, we continued in and found our seats.
In the end, it was a good experience and seemed like a good preschool. I'm excited for this next adventure ahead. Brevik is ready to learn from someone other than myself and Mae will likely be excited to have time without him stealing the spotlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment