





I was filled with anticipation for our family weekend in Suncadia. I packed ahead of time (shocking, right?). I looked up the weather. I talked incessantly about the family fun we were going to have. For the most part, I was correct in assuming the wonderful time ahead. However, it did not start off as well as I had hoped.
Following checking into the hotel, Mandon went to his meetings. The kids and I went to our room to unpack and prepare for our day without Daddy. Maelee seemed particularly warm. She had a 103 degree fever that sent me into a frenzy! I immediately headed to the truck, stopping momentarily to ask the concierge where the nearest doctor was located. I do not ever drive Mandon's truck, but a fever gave me probable cause to do so- the adventure had begun. A few minutes into the drive, Maelee threw up all over his truck. Enough said about that not-so-minor detail. After not finding my destination (the town has 3 stop lights, how could I be lost?!), I called Lauren and she texted me directions and even a picture of a map so that I could determine my route (thanks so much Lauren!). We arrive, Maelee clothesless at this point and me feeling quite unsavy, to find out she merely has fluid in her ear- a classic ear infection. I miss the entire convention dinner and awards ceremony, instead spending time with my sick babe in our hotel room.
It is bittersweet- I love being able to provide the sole comfort for my little princess. I am happy I was able to hold her, wipe hear tears, and make her feel secure despite feeling ill. However, I was disappointed to miss Mandon's unanticipated award and his impromptu moment on stage. I must admit, knowing that nobody can make Mae feel as good as I can is a good feeling though.
Saturday, we had a much better day. We started the day with a family bike ride. Maelee was feeling better with antibiotics in her system. There are the most amazing trails there! Brevik really wanted to find a playground. We gave him no promises, but by happenstance rode directly to one of the neatest playgrounds we have ever frequented. Following big toy playtime, I told Mandon that I wanted to keep going further to get more exercise. Besides, how much further could the loop go?! Less than halfway through this extra loop, my legs burned, my confidence dwindled, and my pride suffered- I regretted making the exercise comment at all and Mandon playfully held it against me for the remainder (the long remainder) of our ride.
Saturday evening we had a babysitter for the kids while we enjoyed dinner with Mandon's district. It was fun to have some husband/wife time with some of our wonderful friends. I again have an admission though- my favorite part of a date night is often going back to the kids. They get so excited to see us and we feel more refreshed which makes a great combination. Upon getting the kids, we had fun with the Lambs and were able to watch the kids all play together well into the night.
Sunday was good too- I went to the spa for a pedicure while Mandon swam with the kids. Mae donned her first bikini and was absolutely adorable. While I was getting my paraffin treatment, a glass of champagne in my hand and a book in the other, I couldn't help but forget some of the reality that awaited me later in the day. For that moment, it was about me, the book I was reading, and my incredibly happy feet. It was a nice break.
Now we are all home- Maelee sleeping on Mandon, me on the couch next to them, Brevik up in his own bad. Our mini-vacation may be over, but I am confident that we will all have wonderful memories from our little weekend away.
Such cute pictures! That looks like a fun place!
ReplyDelete