We had a wonderful evening of togetherness tonight. We started out by playing the "Ewww-Ewww" song- Mandon on the guitar while the kids and I danced. It was one of those moments where I actually hoped the neighbors could see us through the window. (We have so many other moments where I really hope they aren't looking!)Maelee's little dance moves are cuter than ever. She has finally mastered spinning in a circle, her tongue out in all its glory. Brevik tries to break dance and is proud when he spins on the floor or puts his head on the ground with one foot up. Enthusiatically, I cheer them both on, continue doing my own mastered moves (waxin' anybody?), and pray that I am a good enough mother to get the kids professional dance lessons in years to come.
After putting my darling angel to sleep, Brevik and I cuddled on the couch for settle-down time. It's my way of bribing him to snuggle up to me without the usual distractions (and there are oh-so-many) that may draw the attention of a 3 year old. He gets to avoid his bed as long as he stays in my arms... I had a moment where I looked down at him in disbelief- he really is getting so much bigger. I remember when I could comfortably be his pillow. His little body would find a way to so perfectly align against mine like only a mother and child can know. Now, he was propping a pillow to the side of us to get comfortable together. When he fell asleep in my arms, my mind fragmented and I could see all of the points in his life that he's slept against me- The tiny premature baby only 4 pounds lost in my arms; the babbling baby, looking fondly into my eyes; the young toddler restless in my arms wanting to explore his newfound motion; the squirmy 2 year old; and now my independent preschooler. It truley happens in a flash. As I starred at his sleeping face- perpiration creeping across his brow line, I had a vision of him at 8, 14, and older. It was frightening, even exhilirating. Within a blink of my eye, he was back to my sweet 3 year old lost in his dreams. I held him a little tighter, feeling entirely blessed to have him in my arms, and eventually carried him to his Cars bed. I gazed over at Mae in her round princess crib, smiled, and went back down to Mandon and couldn't help but think that tonight was a good, good night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so glad you're doing a blog! It will be a great way to keep in touch....as long as I start updating mine.:) You are a great writer and these stories are so fun! I'm excited to hear more. Love ya Kel!
ReplyDelete